Lyng Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Lyng Primitive Methodist chapel

Lyng Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1987

location of Lyng Primitive Methodist chapel

The Street Lyng NR9 5QZ

By Christopher Hill

White's History and Gazeteer states there is a Primitive Methodist chapel in Lyng in 1845.

The Lyng Primitive Methodist chapel in Keith Guyler's photograph was opened in 1857 and rebuilt in 1898.  

Its date of closure is not clear, but on Google Street View in August 2009 it is available to let.  In 2015 it is the base of Richard Drury Photography Ltd.

location: 069176 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 25/08/2015.
Comments about this page

The chapel built in 1857 cost £188 10s 4d, and could seat 158 people. In 1859 the average attendance on a Sunday was 130 to 140, and for the weeknight service 50 to 65. In 1895 the average attendance was 120 for Sunday worship, and there no longer seems to have been a weeknight service. (Cyril Jolly, History of the East Dereham Methodist Circuit, 1955, p61.)

By Jill Barber
On 01/02/2016

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.