East Dereham Primitive Methodist Church

Photo:chapel identified by Keith Guyler as East Dereham Primitive Methodist chapel, now known to be United Methodist - see comment below

chapel identified by Keith Guyler as East Dereham Primitive Methodist chapel, now known to be United Methodist - see comment below

Keith Guyler 1987

Photo:East Dereham Primitive Methodist Chapel in Commercial Road (before 1932)

East Dereham Primitive Methodist Chapel in Commercial Road (before 1932)

old postcard belonging to Steven Wild

former location of East Dereham Primitive Methodist chapel - or the United Methodist chapel

Commercial Road DEREHAM NR19 1AE

By Christopher Hill

East Dereham Primitive Methodist chapel was in Commercial Road.  The Ordnance Survey one inch map of 1946 shows it sited just south of the junction with Norwich Street, in the area of the Orchard surgery. 

The building in Keith Guyler's photograph identified by him as East Dereham Primitive Methodist chapel was actually a United Methodist society. It opened in 1902 and served until the 1980s. According to the 1946 one inch Ordnance Survey map it was located on Norwich Road, just east of Dereham High School.  The postcode is NR20 3AU.  By the time of his picture in 1987 it was in commercial use. On Google Street View in 2008 it has disappeared, replaced with a detached house.

There are good descriptions on the history page of the current Trinity Methodist church website.  It includes the wonderful idea that the congregation in that former Wesleyan building should be encouraged to rise up into the roof along with the heat on chilly winter days.

Can someone confirm this please - the chapel identity, not the rising of the congregation.


Reference:

Trinity Methodist church website accessed August 28th 2015.

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 28/08/2015.
Comments about this page

Thanks to an old postcard given to Steve Wild as a present this Christmas, the mystery has been solved!  I have added the picture above, which clearly shows it is a different chapel. The PM Church was in Commercial Road, and closed after Methodist Union in 1932 (it was closed by 1940), when the congregation joined with Trinity. The Chapel in Norwich Road (shown above) was the United Methodist Chapel.

By Jill Barber
On 31/12/2015

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.