Sedgeford Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Sedgeford Primitive Methodist chapel

Sedgeford Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1987

location of Sedgeford Primitive Methodist chapel

Heacham Road Sedgeford PE36 5LU

By Christopher Hill

Sedgeford is south east of Hunstanton.  Sedgeford Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1861. Ephraim Blake records the event in the Primitive Methodist magazine. Preachers at the opening on 28th September 1861 included Revs. T. Charlton, J. Winkfield, E. Blake, and Mrs. H. Chipperfield, of Linstead, Suffolk. 

The chapel cost £170 with around £70 expected to be raised.

The chapel went out of use in the early 1930s and was converted to a residence by the mid 1930s. At the time of Keith Guyler's photograph in 1987 it was still in use as a house.

The Norfolk Heritage Explorer website reports that the former chapel burnt down in December 2012. The report on the fire damaged shell concluded that it was not cost effective or structurally viable to utilise the surviving masonry shell. A photographic survey of the structure was carried out ahead of demolition.

location TF 708366 


Reference:

Norfolk Heritage Explorer website  accessed September 8th 2015

Primitive Methodist magazine December 1861 page 744

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 08/09/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.