Tydd Gote Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Tydd Gote Primitive Methodist chapel

Tydd Gote Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1995

location of Tydd Gote Primitive Methodist chapel

Main Rd Tydd Gote Cambridgeshire PE13 5QD

By Christopher Hill

In Keith Guyler's picture, the chapel is on the right and the building on the left is the British School.

The first Tydd Gote Primitive Methodist chapel dates from 1843 in West Street. It was soon too small and a new chapel was built behind the present British School building on the current site; its location is now partly in the garden of the adjacent bungalow. It took three months to build and the total cost, including land, was £270.10.0.

The School building dates from 1869, ten years after the chapel.  It was built by the Trustees in order to allow all children in the village to have access to basic education. It continued in this use until state education for all became established, after which its use was as Sunday school.

As the congregation continued to grow a third chapel was built on the same site in 1903.  The building incorporated 5 cisterns to capture water as the village did not have mains water until 1929. The chapel closed in 1976.

It became an Evangelical church after closure - Fenlands Church. There is an excellent account of how the Primitive Methodist society developed in a booklet on the Fenland Church website

location: TF 450180 


Reference: 

From the Wash to the Fen; booklet on the Fenland Church website accessed September 10th 2015

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 10/09/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.