Watlington Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Watlington Primitive Methodist chapel

Watlington Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1997

location of Watlington Primitive Methodist chapel

Mill Road Watlington PE33 0HH

By Christopher Hill

The opening of  Watlington Primitive Methodist chapel is described in an account by Richard Howchin in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

"Watlington, six miles S. by W. of Lynn, is a neat village in  the fertile marshes on the east side  of the great Ouse river. For many years our people have laboured in  this village with considerable success, but have had many difficulties  to encounter for want of a suitable  place in which to worship.  

At length, two freehold cottages  were offered for sale, and we purchased them for £30. We have  taken them down and built a good Connexional chapel upon the site,  28 feet long, 18 feet wide, and 13  feet to the ceiling. 

On the 21st of September, 1859,  Mr. W. Lift, our circuit steward,  and several other officials from  Lynn, and other parts of the circuit, assisted at the foundation stone laying ; their presence and  offerings to the Lord's house gave  a lively and vigorous tone to the  meeting, and, although the weather  was very inclement, we raised on  the occasion £10. The chapel was  opened for Divine service, October  30th, 1850, by Messrs. R. Howchin, and C. Hirst, our circuit ministers ; a gracious influence accompanied the word, and the  amount collected was satisfactory.  

The cost will not exceed £84.  By a benign Providence aiding us,  we have raised something over the  requirements of our Connexional  rule."  

Watlington Primitive Methodist chapel closed before 1940.  

At the time of Keith Guyler's photograph and on Google Street View in 2009 it was an antiques shop, Jubilee Antiques.

location: TF 624108


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine January 1860 pages 47-48

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 13/09/2015.
Comments about this page

I've added information about the origins of the chapel, taken from the Primitive Methodist magazine.

By Christopher Hill
On 24/12/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.