Lincoln Portland Place Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Lincoln Portland Place Primitive Methodist chapel

Lincoln Portland Place Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1995

Lincoln Portland Place Primitive Methodist chapel

High Street Lincoln LN5 7PR

By Christopher Hill

The current (2015) Lincoln Central Methodist Church in High Street was formerly Portland Place Primitive Methodist chapel.  It was renamed Central in 1962 on amalgamation with Hannah Memorial.  The building was designed in 1905 by Howdill & Sons of Leeds.  It became grade 2 listed in 1999 when it was described as "Methodist church and adjoining Sunday school, theatre and meeting rooms."

The first  Primitive Methodist chapel in central Lincoln dates from 1819 in Hungate, Mint Lane

The original Portland Place chapel was situated on Saint Mary's Street. It was built in 1839, enlarged in 1854 and rebuilt in 1874.  

location: 973706 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 16/09/2015.
Comments about this page

Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

Ref. LCNLL:2006/105: Commemorative Key presented by the Primitive Methodist Sunday School, High St., Lincoln, to S. Horton, esq., May 9th 1906. Presented in a red leather case, now one hinge missing.

By Raymond E.O.Ella
On 12/12/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.