Ludborough Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Ludborough Primitive Methodist chapel

Ludborough Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1995

location of Ludborough Primitive Methodist chapel

Chapel Lane, Ludborough, Grimsby DN36 5SJ

By Christopher Hill

The notes with Keith Guyler's photograph say that Ludborough Primitive Methodist chapel dates from 1852.

The Primitive Methodist magazine for April 1852 contains an account by Hugh Campbell of the opening of Ludborough Primitive Methodist chapel. There had been a small society there for "upwards of thirty years" before the chapel was built, but progress had been slow.  

In August 1851 Mr Levesey of Sturton Hall sold the society a piece of land for a chapel and Sunday school.  The new chapel was 28' x 19.5' and 14.5' high, built of brick and with a slate roof.

The opening took place from 22nd January 1852 with sermons by Rev G Lamb of Hull and G Wakefield of Scotter.  The cost was £118 of which a third had been raised.  The Sunday school would be built when funds permitted.

Particular thanks went to W Byron of North Reston and John Maltby of Louthpark for liberal donations, and to J Cook of Ludborough for both his donation and loading most of the materials.

It served until 1978 and became a house - September Cottage.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine April 1852 p. 248

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 27/09/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.