Bardney Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:1858 Bardney Primitive Methodist chapel

1858 Bardney Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1996

location of Bardney Primitive Methodist chapel

Wragby Road Bardney LN3 5XR

By Christopher Hill

Bardney is west of Horncastle and in the mid nineteenth century had a population of around 1,400. Bardney Primitive Methodist chapel, in Wragby Road, dates from 1858. Its opening is described in the Primitive Methodist magazine by A Johnson.

A small society existed between 1840 and 1848 and was revived in late 1857 when Isaac Hickson moved from to Bardney from Stixwold. When numbers grew a chapel measuring 36' long x 22' wide and fully boarded throughout was built. It accommodated 180 and cost £160 of which they had raised nearly £40.

It opened from September 26th 1858 with services, a love feast and public tea. Preachers were Mr Whitehouse of London, A Johnson and Brothers Hickson, West, Walter, Prestwood, and Atkin.

After Methodist union in 1932 it was empty and unused until 1944 when it was damaged by a Lancaster crash during the Second World War. It was sold by 1947 and was used as a barn for over 20 years.  In 1971 it became in turn Sharon Pentecostal Church and in 1975 a Salvation Army Citadel.

At the time of Keith Guyler's photograph in 1996 although it still carried Salvation Army signage it was for sale. The building was converted to a private dwelling in 1998.

Further information about the Trustees and local preachers are on the Bardney Village History website.

location: 123698


Reference

Bardney Village History website accessed October 2nd 2015

Primitive Methodist magazine 1859 p.43

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 02/10/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.