Irby in the Marsh Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:1837 Irby in the Marsh Primitive Methodist chapel

1837 Irby in the Marsh Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1995

location of Irby in the Marsh Primitive Methodist chapel

Wainfleet Road, Irby in the Marsh PE24 5AT

By Christopher Hill

Irby in the Marsh Primitive Methodist chapel dates from 1838 and served for just under 100 years, until 1934. After closure it became a garage/store for a new house.

The Primitive Methodist magazine for January 1857 contains an account by Arthur Beanland of the re-opening of Irby chapel on October 26th 1856. By then the chapel was "in a dilatidated state and the society in an abject condition."  Congregations were very small and class meetings"like angels' visits, few and far between."  However, the friends set to and cleaned the chapel, re-plastered the walls, painted and repaired the pews. The society was revived and a Sunday school of thirty scholars established.

Sermons at the opening services and tea meetings were preached by Rev W Marwood from Alford.  Donations came from Mr Stone and Mrs Barker, Mrs Handford, Mrs Redford and Mrs Tacey.

On Google Street View in 2009 it has been converted into living accommodation - probably a singe room.

location: TF 474631


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine January 1857 p50

 

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 07/10/2015.
Comments about this page

Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

ML198997: Irby in the Marsh, Primitive Methodist Chapel, built 1837/8 to seat 126, closed 1921 (?), a house in year 2006.

Ref. SR Journal, a mention of Ranters Chapel, pre 1914, Irby in the Marsh

Ref. LLHS48/4/4: Handbill mentioning Sermons and Preachers, etc.

By Raymond E.O.Ella
On 01/12/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.