Newcastle under Lyme Higherland Primitive Methodist Chapel Staffordshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Newcastle under Lyme Higherland Primitive Methodist Chapel Staffordshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Newcastle under Lyme Higherland Primitive Methodist Chapel Staffordshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Newcastle under Lyme Higherland Primitive Methodist Chapel Staffordshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Newcastle under Lyme Higherland Primitive Methodist Chapel Staffordshire' page

The first chapel was built here in 1836

Primitive Methodism began in 1823 in Newcastle-under-Lyme. This building was opened for worship in 1836 and rebuilt in 1852. The frontage dates from 1856. The present chapel is an extension of the earlier one. There is more building at the rear. This is used as a  Sunday School and for other church activities.  Now still used for worship the main entrance to the church is situated here as the initial entrance opens on to a busy road.

Photos taken December 2015

OS Map Ref:118:SJ846457

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 28/12/2015.
Comments about this page

The Primitive Methodist magazine for 1834 (p 150) gives an account by T Morgan of the re-opening of Newcastle Under Lyme Primitive Methodist chapel on 19/02/1832  & 20/02/1832.  Preachers at the opening were T Bateman  S Tillotson, E Peele & J Miller.

The original opening date is given as 1823 and the additional work involved the addition of a gallery and gas lighting.

By Christopher Hill
On 21/08/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.