Darlaston Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Darlaston Slater Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Darlaston Slater Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Englesea Brook Museum picture and postcard collection

location of former Darlaston Primitive Methodist chapel

Slater Street Wednesbury WS10 8EE

By Christopher Hill

The Darlaston Primitive Methodist chapel shown in the Englesea Brook collection photograph was the third in a sequence of chapels to be opened in Darlaston. The opening ceremony took place at 3p.m. on Thursday14th April, 1910 with a service conducted by the Reverend Joseph B. Bissell, the first minister. The building was designed by Darlaston architect Mr. C. W. D. Joynson and built by Mr. R. Hammonds, also of Darlaston.

The first mission to Darlaston was in 1819 with Mr Samson Turner preaching in the open air.  The first Primitive Methodist chapel was in Willenhall Street, between Stafford Road and Rough Hay Road. This was replaced in 1836 by a larger chapel, seating 700, in Bell Street.

The Primitive Methodist magazine for December 1854 contains an account by J Morton of the re-opening of Darlaston Primitive Methodist chapel in 1854. They had spent £220 on improvements "to prevent an unpleasant and dangerous draught of cold air". The opening on September 17th 1854 witnessed sermons by Rev T Holliday of London and Mr Tyrer on Wolverhampton. The following week  Rev S Saunders of Newcastle and M'Master of Walsall preached sermons with great acceptance and power.

The church would have continued in Bell Street but in 1908 there was an underground coal fire which caused structural damage.  The building had to be demolished as it became unsafe.  This lead to the building of the Slater Street chapel.

The chapel was demolished in 1979 and replaced by the current smaller Slater Street Primitive Methodist chapel.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine December 1854p. 747

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 22/01/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.