Leicester Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Leicester Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel

Leicester Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel

Primitive Methodist Conference Handbook 1907

Photo:former Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel Leicester

former Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel Leicester

Christopher Hill February 2016

Photo:side view of former Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel Leicester

side view of former Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel Leicester

Christopher Hill February 2016

Photo:Leicester Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel

Leicester Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1927; Englesea Brook Museum

location of Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel, Leicester

170 Belgrave Gate, Leicester LE1 3XL

By Christopher Hill

Belgrave Gate Primitive Methodist chapel in Leicester was very close to where the first Primitive Methodist sermon in Leicester was preached by John Benton in 1818, and a chapel was built in 1819 at the corner of George Street and Bedford Street.  

Belgrave Gate chapel was opened in 1882, built to replace George Street and was one of the venues used for the 1907 Primitive Methodist Conference in Leicester.  It was sold to Leicester Co-operative Society in 1937.

In 2016 it still exists, but is hard to recognise.  Its last use was for Leicester Square Rack and Roll Pool Hall and Sports bar. 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 04/02/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.