Cleethorpes Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:former Primitive Methodist chapel

former Primitive Methodist chapel

Primitive Methodist Conference Handbook 1899

location of Cleethorpes Primitive Methodist chapel

St Peter's Avenue Cleethorpes DN35 8QB

By Christopher Hill

The current St Andrews Methodist church in Cleethorpes occupies the same site as the previous Primitive Methodist chapels. 

The first chapel was built in 1857; it was replaced by a new chapel in 1877. This chapel was replaced by St Andrews in 1979. 

Hugh Campbell writes in the 1858 Primitive Methodist magazine that Cleethorpes was first missioned in 1845 or 46 and a small house built for worship in 1849. In 1857 it was replaced by a chapel measuring 45' x 34', with a large schoolroom and two vestries. It cost £600 towards which JO Chapman of Cleethorpes gave an outstanding £50.

It was opened on December 20th 1857. Opening preachers included Rev G Lamb of London, Rev W Clarkson (Wesleyan), Rev J Dawson, Rev G Austin and Rev R Smart (Baptist).


Primitive Methodist magazine March 1858 pp.181-182


This page was added by Christopher Hill on 08/02/2016.
Comments about this page

Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

Ref. Meth/C/Cleethopes, PM Chapel, Mill Road (Mill Road, corner of St.Peter's Avenue): Various records. 

First PM Chapel built on Cambridge Street 1848, Sunday School added 1850. New PM Chapel 1857, Mill Rd., corner of St.Peter's Avenue, replaced 1877.

By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella)
On 10/05/2018

Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

WW1 Memorial Stained Glass Window, Mill Rd., PM Chapel, Cleethorpes: "The Crown of Life" window. 

Reinstalled in the replacement Chapel built in 1979.

By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella)
On 14/05/2018