Leeds Belle Vue Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:former Belle Vue Primitive Methodist chapel

former Belle Vue Primitive Methodist chapel

Primitive Methodist Conference Handbook 1898; Englesea Brook Museum

location of the former Belle Vue Primitive Methodist chapel, Leeds

217 Belle Vue Rd, Leeds LS3 1HG

By Christopher Hill

Belle Vue Primitive Methodist chapel in Leeds was built in 1870.  

There is a description of the impressive building by Joseph Wright of Hull, its architect, taken from the Architect Journal of November 20th 1870.  He writes:

The foundation stone of a Primitive Methodist chapel for the Leeds Third Circuit was laid on 19th inst., by Mr Henry Hodge of Hull.  The account of “what is to be” may be thus given: site- at the corner of Belle-vue and Woodsley roads; frontage 112 feet to the first mentioned street and 175  to the other.  Design, Classical with Corinthian columns to the principal front, surmounted by a pediment of the same order.  Walls of brick with stone dressings.  There will be a basement storey, comprising a large schoolroom and a number of classrooms; the former to be entered from Woodsey Road.  The principal entrance to the chapel will be from Belle-vue Road, by three doors opening into a vestibule, from which the body of the chapel and the stairs leading to the gallery will be reached.  About 750 sittings are to be provided.  The chapel will stand back from the footpaths on the two roads and be enclosed with ornamental palisading. 

It closed around 1975 and was demolished. In 2015 the site is occupied by a block of flats.

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 08/02/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.