Leeds Quarry Hill Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Quarry Hill Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel

Quarry Hill Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1898; Englesea Brook Museum

Photo:Leeds Quarry Hill Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel

Leeds Quarry Hill Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1922; Englesea Brook Museum

Chapel Street, Quarry Hill, Leeds

By Christopher Hill

The first Quarry Hill Primitive Methodist chapel in Leeds was opened in 1822. New frontage was added in 1846 and the chapel enlarged in 1874. The 1851 religious census records that on Census Sunday in March, 541 people attended the evening service - and 251 came in the morning with 119 children attending morning Sunday School. 

The chapel closed around 1933, immediately after Methodist Union, and has since been demolished.

Downloads

Quarry_Hill_Centenary.pdf
Quarry_Hill_Centenary.pdf (957k)

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 10/02/2016.
Comments about this page

This page was modified on 5 December 2016 to add a transcription of an article, celebrating the centenary of Quarry Hill, published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine 1922.

By Geoff Dickinson
On 05/12/2016

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.