Sheffield Anns Road Primitive Methodist chapel

1 Anns Road Heeley S2 3DJ

By Christopher Hill

Anns Road Primitive Methodist chapel was in Heeley.  It was opened in 1897 on the initiative of the Heeley Primitive Methodist society at Sheaf Street, now the bottom of Gleadless Road. In 1901 it was one of the chapels used when the Primitive Methodist Conference visited Sheffield. As a brand new building it must have impressed the delegates.

It became later St Andrew’s Methodist church. In 2016 it is used as Sheffield Chinese Christian Church. It is substantially unchanged from the outside but is in need of a little attention.  It appears isolated as much of the steep, hilly area around it, formerly terraced housing, has been demolished.

OS grid reference SK3540685097

 

Photo:Anns Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Anns Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1901; Englesea Brook Museum

Photo:Anns Road Primitive Methodist chapel front

Anns Road Primitive Methodist chapel front

Christopher Hill 2016

Photo:Anns Road Primitive Methodist chapel right side

Anns Road Primitive Methodist chapel right side

Christopher Hill 2016

Photo:Anns Road Primitive Methodist chapel left side

Anns Road Primitive Methodist chapel left side

Christopher Hill 2016

Photo:Anns Road Primitive Methodist Sunday School engravings

Anns Road Primitive Methodist Sunday School engravings

Christopher Hill 2016

Photo:Anns Road Primitive Methodist chapel rear

Anns Road Primitive Methodist chapel rear

Christopher Hill 2016

location of Anns Road Primitive Methodist chapel

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 12/02/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.