Sheffield Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel, Cambridge Street

Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel, Cambridge Street

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1901; Englesea Brook Museum

Photo:Sheffield Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel facade behind front extension

Sheffield Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel facade behind front extension

Christopher Hill March 2016

Photo:shop  extension added to Sheffield Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel

shop extension added to Sheffield Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel

Christopher Hill 2016

Photo:Bethel Sunday School alongside Sheffield Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel, Sheffield

Bethel Sunday School alongside Sheffield Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel, Sheffield

Christopher Hill 2016

Photo:Bethel Sunday School alongside Sheffield Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel

Bethel Sunday School alongside Sheffield Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel

Christopher Hill March 2016

location of former Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel, Cambridge Street

30 Cambridge St, Sheffield S1 4HP

By Christopher Hill

The extension built on the front of Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel in Cambridge Street Sheffield is in 2016 occupied by the Stone the Crows shop. The original frontage is much changed, but viewed from the John Lewis car park opposite, more of the original building can be seen. Although the shop is still in use, the roof of the former chapel behind has several slates missing.

The first chapel was built in 1820 and rebuilt in 1835. Sheffield Archives contain marriage records from 1919 - 1936, so the society was active at least until Methodist Union in 1932.

The Sunday School was the narrow three storey building next door, to the left of the chapel building; it is substantially unaltered externally and retains the stone tablet saying "Bethel Sunday School 1852"

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 12/02/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.