Camden Town Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:former Camden Town Primitive Methodist chapel

former Camden Town Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1908; Englesea Brook Museum

location of Camden town Primitive Methodist chapel

89 Plender Street NW1 0JN

By Christopher Hill

The former Camden Town Primitive Methodist chapel is still in active use as Camden Town Methodist church on the corner of Plender Street and King's Terrace.

It had begin life as a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in 1824 on what was then called King Street (it became Plender Street in 1937).  When the Wesleyans built a new church at Camden Street in 1860, they sold their original chapel to the Primitive Methodists. The building was rebuilt in 1890.

On Methodist Union in 1932, the Primitive Methodist chapel was retained as the main church.  The Camden Street premises became a mission hall and youth centre, c.1939 until they were sold in 1959 and later demolished.

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 17/02/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.