Harringay Mattison Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Harringay Mattison Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Harringay Mattison Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1908; Englesea Brook Museum

location of the former Harringay Mattison Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Mattison Road Harringay N4 1BG

By Christopher Hill

Harringay Primitive Methodist chapel, originally known as Mattison Road, opened in 1891 as an tin tabernacle - a pre-fabricated timber framed structure clad with corrugated iron which could quickly be assembled from a kit.

This was replaced by the buildings in the picture in 1901. This was clearly necessary because in 1903 membership was so high that Mattison Road was described as the chief Primitive Methodist church in London.

Originally part of the Caledonian Road circuit, it joined the Finsbury Park circuit after the Methodist union in 1932 until it closed in 1963.

The building is still there on Google Street View in May 2015 serving as a Roman Catholic church.

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 17/02/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.