Windsor Grove Knight's Hill Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Knights Hill Primitive Methodist chapel

Knights Hill Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1908; Englesea Brook Museum

location of former Knight's Hill Primitive Methodist chapel

Knight's Hill West Norwood SE27 9NT

By Christopher Hill

Knight's Hill Primitive Methodist chapel in Windsor Grove was actually erected by the Wesleyan Methodists in 1838; the congregation soon outgrew the building and they built a larger chapel at Knight's Hill. The chapel in Windsor Grove (Windsor Road on early maps) was acquired by the Primitive Methodists. It was a small stock brick building with three narrow round-headed windows on the road front, located about halfway along Windsor grove on the northern side.

The chapel is marked on Ordnance Survey plans of 1915 but by the 1950s the site was occupied by a laundry.  In 2015 it is a commercial estate. 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 17/02/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.