Ryde High Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Ryde High Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Ryde High Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Englesea Brook Museum picture and postcard collection

location the former of Ryde Primitive Methodist chapel

97 High Street RYDE Isle of Wight PO33 2SZ

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodists in Ryde built their own chapel in Star Street on  the site later occupied by a carpet shop. The society opened a new Chapel on the corner of High Street and Well Street in 1902.

In 1942 the Primitive Methodist chapel closed and the congregation merged with the Wesleyans in their large chapel in Garfield Road.

The Primitive Methodist chapel was acquired by the local authority and became used mainly as a Youth Club. On Google Street View in June 2015 it is for sale; what has happened to it?  A note on the sales brochure says that although it is not in a conservation area it is unlikely that permission for its demolition would be given.

The photograph of the chapel was in the Englesea Brook collection of pictures and postcards but unlabelled; thanks to RoseC for identifying it. Rose also passed on a link to a photo of the chapel taken in 2015 on the Geograph website at:-

www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4694445

There have been changes to the building between the Englesea picture and 2015.  The spire on top of the right hand turret has disappeared and the principal entrance doors in each of the turrets have been bricked in. The way in now is through an imposing set of central steps - impressive but not ideal for accessibility.

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 23/02/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.