Middlesbrough Linthorpe Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Middlesbrough Linthorpe Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Middlesbrough Linthorpe Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1914; Englesea Brook Museum

Photo:Middlesbrough Linthorpe Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Middlesbrough Linthorpe Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1932; Englesea Brook Museum

location of Linthorpe Road Primitive Methodist chapel

54 Borough Road, Middlesbrough, TS1 2JH.

By Christopher Hill

Linthorpe Road Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1892.  It was extended with the addition of a substantial Sunday School in 1910 - the Sunday School entrance in Baker Street retains its carved stone over the doorway - "Primitive Methodist Sunday School A.D. 1910."  The front of the Sunday School in 2015 is Banana Leaf Buffet restaurant.

The top of the chapel facade was originally much more decorative, as appears in the photograph.  It had to be substantially rebuilt in the 1980s, probably due to traffic damage.

It is Middlesborough's only surviving Victorian non-conformist chapel and still active in 2016 as Linthorpe Road Methodist church.  The church website sets out an account of its history.

Geoff Dickinson has provided a link to The Hidden Teesside website which shows recent pictures of chapel. Follow this link to view the page.


Reference

Linthorpe Road Methodist church website accessed March 17th 2016:

 http://www.lrmcrc.org.uk/History.htm

Hidden Teeside website accessed March 21st 2016:

http://www.hidden-teesside.co.uk/2013/07/08/primitive-methodist-church-middlesbrough/

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 17/03/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.