Stockton Paradise Row Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Stockton Paradise Row Primitive Methodist chapel

Stockton Paradise Row Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbooks of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1914 and 1932; Englesea Brook Museum

location of Stockton Paradise Row Primitive Methodist chapel

Church Rd, Stockton-on-Tees TS18 1TW

By Christopher Hill

Stockton Paradise Row Primitive Methodist chapel 

The Primitive Methodists in Stockton held their first camp meeting in 1821 and had a room in Playhouse Yard; they opened a chapel in Maritime Street in 1825.  By the end of the nineteenth century there were three chapels -Paradise Row, 1866, Norton Road, 1876, and Bowesfield Lane, 1887 - together with some mission rooms. 

The foundation stone for Paradise Row Primitive Methodist chapel, Church Road, was laid in June 1865 and the chapel was officially opened on 20th May, 1866. The chapel seated 620 people and was used by Moody and Sankey during their visit to Stockton in 1893. 

The chapel closed and the final service was held on Sunday 28th December, 1947. On Google street view in 2009 it is a shop for wallpaper and paint. By 2015 it appears to be empty.

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 17/03/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.