Hucknall Watnall Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Hucknall Watnall Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Hucknall Watnall Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1916; Englesea Brook Museum

location of former Hucknall Watnall Road Primitive Methodist chapel

39 Watnall Rd, Hucknall NG15 7LD

By Christopher Hill

Watnall Road Primitive Methodist chapel in Hucknall (known at one time as Hucknall Torkard) was opened in February 1896.  

It cost £4,000 and was built on land purchased from the Duke of Portland.

Previously there was an 1857 chapel also on Watnall Road.

In May 2015 the chapel is in commercial use as Kerry's Florist.  Large new signage has been added to the front of the building, but overall it seems little changed.  The former Sunday school at the rear is also in commercial use as a printers and a gymnasium.  The building retains many of its carved tablet stones.

More information can be found on Maureen Newton's Hucknall Torkard History website - see the link at the foot of this page.


Reference

Hucknall Torkard History website accessed March 23rd 2016 http://www.hucknalltorkardhistory.co.uk/methodist_churches.htm

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 23/03/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.