Nottingham Mayfield Grove Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Nottingham Mayfield Grove Primitive Methodist chapel

Nottingham Mayfield Grove Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1916; Englesea Brook Museum

By Christopher Hill

The Meadows area of Nottingham lies between the River Trent and the city centre. Mayfield Grove Primitive Methodist chapel was situated in the Meadows, on the corner of Mayfield Grove and Waterway Street.

The chapel was founded by the members of the Canaan Chapel in Broad Marsh who purchased the site in 1877 and opened a school room at a cost of £2,350.

The chapel was built in 1883 and  cost £3,378. It closed in September, 1936 soon after Methodist Union and was demolished.

The site was later used for the Grove Cinema; it too was demolished about 1975.  The whole area has been completely redeveloped and Mayfield Grove has disappeared.  A small part of Waterway Street remains at NG2 1NL

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 24/03/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.