Scarborough Jubilee Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Scarborough Jubilee Primitive Methodist chapel

Scarborough Jubilee Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1925; Englesea Brook Museum

Photo:Scarborough Jubilee Primitive Methodist chapel

Scarborough Jubilee Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1925; Englesea Brook Museum

location of former Jubilee Primitive Methodist chapel

Aberdeen Walk Scarborough YO11 1XP

By Christopher Hill

Scarborough Jubilee Primitive Methodist chapel in Aberdeen Walk dates from 1861, in a period when the town - and the number of Methodists in it - grew very rapidly.  In the 1860s 5 new Methodist chapels of one brand or another were opened.

Jubilee chapel was designed by William Baldwin Stewart who contributed many buildings to Victorian Scarborough, including the North Sea Bathing Infirmary on the Foreshore. It must have been spectacular; it accommodated 1,140 and boasted lighting by a corona lamp containing 80 gas jets.

It was completely demolished in 1966 and replaced first by a supermarket, then by Scarborough’s Job Centre and on Street View in 2015 it is vacant.

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 25/03/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.