Tattenhall, Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel, Cheshire

By Geoff Dickinson

Tattenhall and District Local History website provides a page of information, with picture, about Ebenezer PM Chapel.

The Primitive Methodist magazine for January 1852 contains account by Thomas Parr of the opening of Tattenhall Lanes Primitive Methodist chapel.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine for January 1852 pp. 54-55

 

This page was added by Geoff Dickinson on 21/04/2016.
Comments about this page

The Primitive Methodist magazine for January 1852 pp. 54-56 contains an account by Thomas Parr of the opening of Tattenhall Lanes Primitive Methodist chapel. When the village was first missioned, services were held in the house of Mr Tomlinson, but the society declined and was nearly taken off the Preaching Plan.

Then in 1843 Mr Charles Sadler moved into the village and under his care the society grew.  In 1850 there was a revival which prompted the need for a new chapel.  A piece of freehold land was acquired from Mr John Moss for the nominal price of 30 shillings. Thomas Parr undertook the building and the opening services were held on September 28th 1851. The chapel was of brick with a slate roof and a boarded floor, and measured 26' x 22' and 15' high.

Sermons were preached by John Wedgewood, P Brown.  150 sat down to a celebration tea and in at least one meeting there were twice as many people attending as could get into the chapel.

Particular thanks were noted for the donation of J Tollemache - although the account had opened praising the castle that the local MP had just had built.

By Christopher Hill
On 02/01/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.