Comments about this page

Built 1901, in use as a place of worship 2013

By GW Oxley
On 11/12/2013

The plans for this chapel were drawn by Isaac Langrigg of Lazonby. They show a chapel 25'9'' by 37'' within a perimeter wall which is now absent from the Upperby Road and Nursery Road sides. The interior had aisles at each side with twelve cental pews. The pulpit was at the west end with two pews on each side facing the centre. There was a yard behind with toilets against the rear wall.

By GW Oxley
On 12/04/2014

Two societies came together when Upperby Chapel was opened. The older had been meeting at Greystone House in Blackwell Road since at least 1884. Four years later it had seating for fifty and attendances of forty. It was the home of a membe.  In 1898 it had seating for fifty. There were 12 members and services were attended by fifteen persons. The other society was based in a rented room in Upperby itself. It opened in 1897 when it had seating for seventy five, attendances of sixty and six members.

 The chapel was built of brick and opened in 1902. It was 39 feet by 23 feet and in 1941 it had 120 sittings in pews. This chapel received loan of £50 from the District Sites and Loans Committee in 1901. A school, 53 feet b y 27 feet was added in 1927 at a cost of £1391. It continues in use as a place of Methodist worship.

Sources

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/1/26 Carlisle PM circuit chapel reports, 1868-1889

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/1/114 Carlisle PM circuit chapel reports. 1890-1899

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/1/27 Carlisle PM circuit chapel reports, 1900-1910

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/8/3  Notes relating to the 1940 accommodation returns

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist property statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

John Rylands Library, Manchester, Methodist District Records, Carlisle & Whitehaven PM District, Chapel Committee minutes, 1927 and District Sites and Loans Committee accounts, 1908-1920)

Huggon, John, Carlisle Methodism, Part 3, Cumbria Wesley Historical Society, 75, Spring 2015

 

 

By GW Oxley
On 29/04/2016

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.