Milfield Primitive Methodist Church

near Wooler, Northumberland

By Jill Barber

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Milfield Primitive Methodist Church' page

postcard belonging to Steven Wild

This postcard was sent in 1959 to Rev J P Horner,  'Fotheringay', Elms Close Terrace, Newlyn, Penzance, Cornwall. It reads, 'Flat 2, Medrose House, Baris Hill, Milfield, 25/9/59. Recognise this place?? Here for weekend. Favourite Nephew here. Weather good - company better!!!!  Enjoyed ministerial visit last Wednesday but Aunty still misses her second 'Favourite'! Hope everything is favourable and inspiring at Newlyn still. Always the best of thoughts. Love, Margaret.'

Information added March 2017 by CH

There’s an account by Adam Dodds in the 1856 Primitive Methodist magazine of the opening of Milfield Primitive Methodist chapel. Milfield is described as a village with a population of 200 in the parish of Kirknewton. It was missioned by the Bible Christians in 1824 and their society was replaced by Primitive Methodists in 1829, led by W Lister. The society produced several local preachers, with M. Clark (of Melbourne, Australia) and Adam Dodds going into the itinerant ministry.

The society met in the village school-room, lent free by the Trustees, but on August 16th 1855 the foundation-stone of a chapel was laid by Mrs. Clark, the first member of the society, assisted by her husband; the Clark family were central to the society. The opening celebrations started on January 20th 1856; addresses were given by Mr. W. Lister, of Westgate, Mr. H. Hebbron, of Gateshead, J. Waite, J. Bell, J. Brown, G. Craik and Mr. Robson, of Galewood,

The chapel and school-rooms were built of free-stone, covered with blue slate, with 5 circular and 3 square windows. The chapel was 38 feet long by 32 feet wide inside, and 16 feet from the floor to the ceiling. It seated 255 persons.

J. A. Grey, Esq., of Milfield-hill, provided the quarter of an acre of land for the chapel, on a lease for 99 years. Donations came from John Grey, Esq. of Dilston and the Honourable Earl of Durham.

The chapel is still active in 2017.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine April 1856 pp.242-243

See also this page for more photographs and information.

This page was added by Jill Barber on 13/07/2016.
Comments about this page

I've added some more information about the opening of Milfield chapel.

By Christopher Hill
On 27/03/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.