Church Gresley Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Church Gresley Primitive Methodist chapel

Market Street Swadlincote DE11 9PR

By Christopher Hill

A small Primitive Methodist chapel measuring 18'(w) x 24'(l) was opened in Church Gresley in 1832. George Mansfield, a society member, gave the land and other friends helped with bricks and money. The preacher at the opening on November 6th was Brother J Peart and Joseph Taylor wrote an account in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

The chapel was lengthened in 1839.  It was still not big enough for the growing congregation and Sunday School, so in 1850 was taken down and replaced by a hip roofed chapel measuring internally 38' x 32' x 23' high.  "Within are 56 seats, which are all let and more are requested". It is described by Thomas Roberts in the 1851 Primitive Methodist magazine. 

At the back of the pulpit was a vestry 6 yards long by 4.5 yards wide, "which is a great accommodation for select Bible classes, and for various meetings."

The Primitive Methodist magazine for March 1857 gives an account by A Johnson of the re-opening of what is called Gresley Primitive Methodist chapel on Sunday January 4th 1857 after a "much needed improvement" - the boarding of the floor.  The preacher was Mr Boden.  At the following Tuesday's celebration tea, sermons were preached by brothers Johnson, Worrill, Kirk, Slater and Creswell - the same people involved with the opening hence we know that Church Gresley and Gresley are the same plce.

The Ordnance Survey map for 1883 - 7 shows the Primitive Methodist chapel as being on Market Street, where Google Street View currently shows Envy hairdressers.  In fact, although the frontage gives no clues, it could be the same building - hip roofed and of the same proportions.  Can anyone confirm this is the former chapel?

The chapel has disappeared from the OS maps by 1901.  On both the 1883-7 and 1901 maps there is a larger Primitive Methodist chapel nearly at High Cross Banks


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1832 page 434

Primitive Methodist Magazine 1851 pp. 52-53

Primitive Methodist magazine March 1857 p.175

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 14/08/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.