Gomersal Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Primitive Methodist chapel in Moor Lane, Gomersal; is this the one opened in 1850?

Gomersal CLECKHEATON BD19 4LF

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine of February 1851 contains an account by T Broadbent of the opening of Gomersal Primitive Methodist chapel in August 1850.

The town had been missioned from around 1840 but without a fixed meeting place for services.  A new chapel was planned and built; it was 36' x 28.5' and the ceiling was 15' high. It had gas lights and was heated by a stove in the middle.

On the Ordnance Survey map of 1894 a Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on Moor Lane opposite the turning to Queen Street. Is this the 1850 chapel?  On Google Street View in June 2015 in the location stands Chapel Cottage.  It has a newer front, but the building behind is considerably older.  Is any of Chapel Cottage part of the 1850 chapel?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine February 1851 pp 113-114

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 15/08/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.