West Cramlington Primitive Methodist chapel

approximate location of the former West Cramlington Primitive Methodist chapel

Alexandra Park, Cramlington NE23

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist Magazine for February 1851 includes a description by Thomas Smith  of the opening of the Primitive Methodist chapel at West Cramlington.  

West Cramlington was a cluster of houses around a colliery to the east of Cramlington itself.  The Ordnance Survey map 1858-80 series shows both Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels there.  The Prims had previously met in a colliery building, then in a small upstairs room - so small the "poor children were parboiled in it". In 1850 the colliery owner rented a site to the society cheaply and society members built the chapel themselves after work. It cost £131, and at the time of opening, all but £40 had been raised.

The chapel is still there on 1919-1922 maps, but has disappeared (along with all the colliery houses) by 1962.


Reference

Primitive Methodist Magazine February 1851 p114

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 15/08/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.