Camborne Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Camborne Primitive Methodist chapel

Trevenson Street Camborne TR14 8HZ

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist Magazine for March 1851 includes an account by John Richards of the opening of Camborne Primitive Methodist chapel which was in the Redruth circuit.  The chapel was opened on January 12th 1851.

Camborne was at the time a prosperous copper mining district.  The Primitive Methodists had been meeting in a cottage but were given notice. They took 14 perches of land on 99 year lease and "began to beg in good earnest" to fund the building.  The chapel they built was 40' x 36', 21' high and lighted by 13 windows. Over 200 attended the initial tea meeting.

On the 1879 Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 map the Primitive Methodist chapel with adjacent Sunday School is shown at the junction of Trevenson Street with Stray Park Road, although it is not certain that this is the 1851 chapel.  It is still there in 1967 but on Google Street View in 2009 there is a box shape residential building of indeterminate age.


Reference

Primitive Methodist Magazine March 1851 pp 175

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 19/08/2016.
Comments about this page

Yes the chapel has long gone, but there were traces of the wall surrounding and possibly a gate post. It is across the road from the Red Jackets pub

By David Cracknell
On 25/05/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.