Steeton Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Steeton Primitive Methodist chapel

High Street Steeton BD20 6NT

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist Magazine for March 1851 includes an account by H Leigh of the opening of Steeton Primitive Methodist chapel in the Silsden Circuit

The new chapel held 200, "110 of whom can sit in pews".  It was 16' high to ceiling, built of stone with a slate roof.   The overall cost was £188/6/11 and was freehold.

It is clearly shown on the 1889-94 Ordnance Survey map, but by 1908 it has disappeared. By then, the Primitive Methodist chapel is located on Skipton Road, on the area of land between the present school and the main road, currently used as the school’s playground.

The Steeton Village information website tells us that this later chapel became dilapidated and was demolished around 1975.  This site also refers to a Primitive Methodist chapel in Easturn built in 1861 and which served until 1968.


Reference

The Primitive Methodist Magazine for March 1851 pp. 176 - 177

The Steeton with Easturn Village information website http://steetonandeastburn.co.uk/places-worship/ accessed August 23 2016

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 23/08/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.