Wildmoor Primitive Methodist chapel

location of the 1883 Wildmoor Primitive Methodist chapel

Top Rd, Wildmoor, B61 0RD

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine for April 1851 gives an account by J Huff of the opening of Wildmoor Primitive Methodist chapel in the Bromsgrove circuit.

The chapel measured  18' x 15'.  It was provided by Mr A Rutter in the summer of 1850.  The annual rent was 50s.

Wildmoor is north of Catshill.  The Bromsgrove Advertiser of August 7th August 2008 reports that Wildmoor Methodist Church would close on Sunday, August 31.  Although it still had members, none of them lived in Wildmoor.  Google Street View for July 2011 shows the chapel on Top Lane, still bearing the inscription "Jubilee Primitive Methodist chapel 1883" although the date is not clearly in focus.

The chapel is marked on the 1:2.500 Ordnance Survey map for 1882.  Was this the same location as the 1850 chapel?  Can anyone throw light on this?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine for April 1851 p 247

Bromsgrove Advertiser of August 27th August 2008  accessed August 24th 2016 http://www.bromsgroveadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/3578567.End_of_road_for_chapel_/

 

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 24/08/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.