Ryecroft Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Ryecroft Primitive Methodist chapel

Ryecroft Road BD16 1DH

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine for January 1854 contains an article by John Simpson on the opening of Ryecroft Primitive Methodist chapel, in the Keighley circuit.

The chapel was opened on 20th of November 1853 by Messrs Lawley (of Howden), Kendrew (of Leeds) and Simpson and Tanfield (of Keighley).  It "is a pretty structure", measuring "30' x 27' within; has a neat vestry adjoining, a convenient cottage beneath the pews and well situated outbuildings."

The land was given by W.G Ferrand Esq. of Harden Grange. There were further donations by Joseph Cawood, born in the village but visiting from South Africa.  Mrs Cawood gave a gilt bible for the pulpit.

Other donations came from Messrs Rhodes (Bradford) and Kendrew (Leeds).  Mr Craven (Wilsden) gave his architects services.

The 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map of 1893 shows Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel located on Ryecroft Road just to the east of Ryecroft village.  It is still there in 1933 but by 1963 it is labelled Chapel House with an adjacent burial ground.  Both the converted chapel and the burial ground are there on Google Street View in 2009.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine January 1854 page 50

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 25/09/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.