Gold's Green Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Gold's Green Methodist church; was this the location of the Primitive Methodist chapel?

Darlaston circuit

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine of January 1842 contains an article by R Jukes celebrating the opening of Gold's Green Primitive Methodist chapel in West Bromwich.

"We have put two side galleries in our chapel at Gold’s Green, and have built a new school room, about eleven yards by nine, with a boarded floor.  Bros. T. Holliday and J. Moss preached the opening sermons, May 3, 1841.

The magazine for January 1854 contains a further article by J Perks recording the chapel's re-opening on November 27th 1853 with sermons by J.H. Beevers of Derby and H. Collier of Gold's Green.  The plan also included the intention to license the chapel for solemnising marriages.

The 1854 article doesn't mention the original opening date; county records include baptismal records from 1844 until 1967.

Gold's Hill Methodist chapel was on Harvill's Hawthorn (B70 0UD) and the building still exists as the Triumphant Church of God.  Was that the Primitive Methodist chapel?



Primitive Methodist magazine January 1842 page 20

Primitive Methodist magazine January 1854 page 51


This page was added by Christopher Hill on 26/09/2016.