Houses Hill Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Houses Hill Primitive Methodist chapel

Healey Green Lane HD5 0PB

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist Magazine for February 1854 contains an account by W Bennett of the opening of Houseshill Primitive Methodist chapel in the Huddersfield circuit.  It doesn't actually state the date of opening, but is likely to have been late 1853.

The chapel "stands on a very eligible site of ground: is 11 yards by 10 yards within, and has nine circular windows which open at the top.  Under the chapel is a good schoolroom and a neat cottage." 

The entire cost was around £400, of which they borrowed about £200, with "freewill offerings" from J North, J Tolson, A Sheard, J Blackburn, J Littlewood, Dr Gardener, J Beaumont (sen. and jun.), Messrs J Tolson and Sons, RH Tolson and W Hinchcliffe.  Opening sermons were preached by T and W Bennett, J Dodsworth, Mrs Blackburn and R Robinson.

The 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map for 1893 shows that Houses Hill, a settlement with less than twenty houses, has both Primitive and Wesleyan Methodist chapels.  By 1907 the Primitive chapel has disappeared, but the Wesleyan chapel is still there in 1961. 


 

Reference

Primitive Methodist Magazine February 1854 pp112-113

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 10/10/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.