Harwood, Tottington Road Primitive Methodist Church, near Bolton

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Harwood, Tottington Road Primitive Methodist Church, near Bolton' page

postcard belonging to Revd Steven Wild

Built 1890

By Jill Barber

This church was built in 1890, but the Primitive Methodists began preaching at Harwood Lee, near Bolton, in the summer of 1837. A Society was formed, which met in the home of James Maden. When he moved away, the infant church rented a house, using one room for preaching, and the other three rooms for the Sunday School, which opened on 7 April 1839.  

Before this church, known as Tottington Road, was built, the church was known as The Hephzibah Chapel.

In 2009, Tottington Road merged with Longsight Methodist Church to form a single Harwood Methodist Church. Longsight Church was closed and converted to a community hall, and worship has continued at Tottington Road. Pictures of the interior, and plans for its redevelopment can be seen on the church website.

This page was added by Jill Barber on 11/10/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.