Birmingham Nechell's Green Primitive Methodist chapel: Ebenezer

Location of the former Nechell's Green Primitive Methodist chapel

Long Acre Nechells B7 5NT

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine of October 1854 contains an account by James Pritchard of the laying of the foundations stone of Nechell's Green Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel - the third Primitive Methodist chapel opened in Birmingham in the previous two years.

The stone was laid soon after the neighbouring chapel was opened in Lord Street.  The ceremony took place on Monday July 31st 1854 and the stone was laid by Mrs Sarah Cooke, of Aston Manor, who had given £60 and who had also given £40 towards the erection of Gooch Street chapel.  A "short, animated and appropriate address" was delivered by Brother T Batty of Dudley.

Mr Pritchard comments on the kindness and support of the Wesleyans in contributing funds and preachers.  

Long Acre was an area with a new and rapidly increasing population.  The new chapel was of the same design as nearby Lord Street, 36' x 30' and 24' high.  There was also land to build a school room.

The chapel was located opposite St Joseph's catholic cemetery, just south of the junction of Long Acre with Railway Terrace. It is still marked on the 1:1,250 Ordnance Survey map of 1983-6, but in 2016 the site is occupied by Wing Yip Chinese Business Centre.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine October 1854 pp. 616-7

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 29/11/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.