Ramsey Primitive Methodist chapel

Isle of Man

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine for December 1854 contains an account by George Kidd of the re-opening of Ramsey Primitive Methodist chapel on the Isle of Man. Prior to its rebuilding, the chapel was uncomfortable and the congregation small. It was "thoroughly remodelled in its external arrangements" in the re-opening.   

The re-opening was celebrated on October 15th with two sermons by Rev WC Stallybrass, Independent minister of Douglas.  The evening service was held in the Wesleyan chapel.  The following week there were further sermons by George Kidd, Rev S Brown (Wesleyan) and Rev W Walker (United Presbyterian).

Mr Kidd finishes by saying that "a good impression has been produced in the public mind by the spirit of harmony and evangelical brotherhood manifested by the different ministers of religion" and the re-opening culminated in Mr Kidd preaching to "a considerably improved congregation" - although exactly how they were improved is not told.


 

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine December 1854 pp 746 - 7

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 07/12/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.