Cinder Hill Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist Magazine for January 1852 contains an account by T Batty of the recent opening of three Primitive Methodist chapels - at Blackheath, Cinder Hill and Netherton.  “The mining district of South Staffordshire has proved a fruitful soil for Primitive Methodism.  (The area includes) Dudley ... with more than forty Primitive Methodist chapels within six miles of her lofty castle.”

Cinder Hill was a hamlet some four miles from Dudley.  It was missioned by the Sedgley society, about a mile away and Cinder Hill Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in January 1851.  Sermons were preached by Mr Squire Harvey (Tunstall), E Britain and E Grice. It measured 24’ x 27’ and was 15’ from floor to ceiling: the total cost was £170/1/0 of which £54 had been raised, with a mortgage of £120.  Particular donations were noted from Mr Thompson (gentleman of Bilston) and Mr Whitehouse (ironmaster).

Where exactly was it?  Does the building still exist?


Reference

Primitive Methodist Magazine for January 1852 pp. 52-53

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 29/12/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.