Rocks Hill Primitive Methodist chapel

Brierley Hill

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist Magazine for January 1855 and March 1857 contains accounts by W Jones and S Bennett of the opening and  re-opening of Rocks Hill Primitive Methodist chapel at Brierley Hill.

The foundation-stone was laid on May 29th, 1854, by Mr. W. Pearson, of Brockmoor and the building was opened on November 5th and 12th, 1854. Sermons were preached by W. E. Saunders, of Tunstall, Mr. W. Pearson, J. Petty, of London, and the Rev. C. B. Roebuck, Independent. At the following day's tea meeting, "A smile of delight played upon the countenances of all present."

The chapel was built of "red, blue, and white bricks, very tastefully arranged", roofed with Bangor slate and with a boarded floor. It accommodated 266 people and under the chapel was a Sunday school room.

The chapel was closed in late 1856 in order to add a full gallery and an organ.  The re-opening took place on Sunday January 18th 1857 and sermons were preached by Brother John Petty from London and W Pearson (Brockmoor) in the afternoon. The enlargements were necessary because of the growth of the society and the Sunday School.  Even then, the enlarged chapel was not big enough for the evening congregation.


Reference

Primitive Methodist Magazine February 1855 p.110

Primitive Methodist Magazine March 1857 p 174-175

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 09/01/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.