Ansty (Anstey) Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Anstey Primitive Methodist chapel. The current church is across the road in the former Sunday school

Cropston Rd, Anstey LE7 7BP

By Christopher Hill

White's Directory tells us that Anstey Primitive Methodist chapel opened in 1839.  

The Primitive Methodist Magazine of April 1857 contains an account by William Cutts of the improving state of Primitive Methodist chapels in the Leicester First Circuit.  He includes a section on the reduction of debt at Ansty (sic) Primitive Methodist chapel. The aim was to reduce the debt.  A reduction of £10 was achieved through the collections at the anniversary services and a tea meeting held in Mr Skertchley's orchard with "nearly all of the provision being given."

The chapel was replaced in 1872 by a chapel that seated 400.  In 1893 a Sunday school for 400 scholars was opened on the opposite side of the road.

By 2017 the chapel has disappeared and the Sunday School building is now active as the Methodist church centre.


Reference

Primitive Methodist Magazine April 1857 p.244

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 10/01/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.