Hanging Bridge Primitive Methodist Chapel, Derbyshire

Photo:Hanging Bridge chapel, beyond Duke of York inn.

Hanging Bridge chapel, beyond Duke of York inn.

Archive photograph

By David Leese

Hanging Bridge Primitive Methodist Chapel, Mayfield Road, Clifton, Derbyshire.

A chapel erected in 1830 with a three bay front. Records from 1869 to 1973 held by Derbyshire Records.

Chapel was situated out of main settlements, immediately adjacent to present A52 Ashbourne to Mayfield road, serving Hanging Bridge, Clifton and parts of Mayfield. 

Archive photograph shows former Duke of York inn, demolished in 1950's, with Methodist chapel on extreme right of picture.

This page was added by David Leese on 06/02/2017.
Comments about this page

The foundation stone for Hanging Bridge Primitive Methodist chapel was laid on 19th August 1830 and the chapel opened on Sunday 8th August. Opening day preachers were Hugh Bourne and Brother Simmons.

The chapel measured 24'(w) x 33'(l). Inside, the pews at the east end were in a raised form.

The opening is described by John Tomlinson in the 1831 Primitive Methodist magazine (page 25).

By Christopher Hill
On 01/09/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.