Eakring PM Chapel, Retford Circuit, Nottinghamshire

From the Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1838

Transcribed by David Tonks

CHAPEL OPENINGS, 1837.

This chapel was opened June 2, 1837.  Bro.Middleton, from Mansfield, preached twice; and there was a gracious influence.  And on Sunday, June 4, 1837, there were four sermons.  Miss Taylor, from Mansfield, preached morning and evening.  In addition to these, we had a sermon in the afternoon, and one in the evening at Wellow, for the benefit of this chapel.

Since the chapel was opened, our congregations have been more than doubled.  It stands in a good situation, is twenty-eight feet six inches long, by twenty-three feet three inches wide, built of brick and covered with tile, and has four windows, two on each side.  The neat cost was about ninety-six pounds and ten shillings.  We have seventy-five pounds upon it.  All the leadings were done gratis.  The people wrought willingly.

When our people entered this place they met with much opposition; but our opposers are become our friends, and the work is going on prosperously.  Unto God be praise for ever.

G. Booth.

(Approved by the Circuit Committee.)

Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1838.  Page 336.

This page was added by David Tonks on 11/10/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.