Sandford Primitive Methodist chapel

Sherborne branch

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine of July 1852 contains an account by J S Brown of the opening of Sandford Primitive Methodist chapel in the Sherborne branch.

The society in early 1852 was anxious because the Coke family who had played a major role in the society and whose house the services were held in, were emigrating to  America. However, C Moody gave a place free for eight years and with some alterations costing £8/3/10 it was fitted out as a comfortable little chapel

The opening services were held on April 25th 1852 with sermons by Rev W Driffield and Mr Trask. At the following day's tea meeting there were addresses by Messrs Driffield, Brown, Trask and Perrott.  Four souls joined the society and the full £8/3/10 was raised. Additional thanks to Messrs Marks, Perrott and Thompson.

Can anyone locate the chapel?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine July 1852 p. 435

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 07/02/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.