Chacombe Primitive Methodist chapel

location of Charcombe Primitive Methodist chapel

Banbury circuit OX17 2JN

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine for February 1853 contains an account by H Pope of the opening of Chacombe Primitive Methodist chapel in the Banbury circuit.  Chacombe, which had a population of between 500 and 600 people. In 1851 several new converts joined the society and a plot of land containing 6 cottages was bought (leasehold for 108 years) from James Blencowe, a society member moving to the west of England, to build a new chapel.

The chapel cost under £100 and measured 25.5' x 22.5' and 13' high.

Opening services were held from December 5th 1852 with sermons by R. Hornabrook (Wesleyan), G Warner, H Pope, R Bell, Messrs Edmunds, Hollier and Brazier.

Among those thanks by name were Amos Chinnor, Joseph and William Harbage, W Bennets and R Mander for drawing all the materials gratuitously; Caleb Sabin a fatherless youth for one of the best hymn books; and the Wesleyan singer.

The chapel is still marked on 1885 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map but has disappeared by the 1900 map. Google Street View doesn't go anywhere near it.  Does anyone know what had happened to it?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine February 1853 pp.120-121

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 15/02/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.