St John's Weardale Primitive Methodist chapel

location of St John's Chapel Primitive Methodist chapel

Hood St, St John's Chapel DL13 1QJ

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine of February 1853 contains an account by William Clemitson of the opening of St John's Primitive Methodist chapel in Weardale.  At the time St John's was a market town with a rapidly increasing population and the society could not meet the local demand, especially in the Sunday school. 

Begging for funding throughout Weardale raised £100 towards the overall £390 cost; a piece of land was bought from Edward Shafto of Durham; stones for the building were taken - for free- from the River Wear; all materials were carried to the site for free.

Rev H Hebbron of Sunderland laid the foundation stone on May 4th 1852.  He and Rev J Lightfoot preached sermons.  Opening celebrations started with a tea meeting for 420 on November 20th 1852and continued with further services and another tea meeting. Additional preachers included CC M'kechnie, J Dawson, G Watson, G Race, Mr G Lamb (Brigg), J Nattrass (Carlisle) W Clemitson.

The chapel was 42' x 33' and 24' high, roofed with Welsh slate, with a gallery supported by cast iron pillars on three sides and accommodation for 350.

On Google Street View in 2015 the chapel is disused.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine February 1853 pp.121-122

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 15/02/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.