Dunnington Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Dunnington York PM chapel front

Dunnington York PM chapel front

Christopher Hill September 2017

Photo:Dunnington York PM chapel side view

Dunnington York PM chapel side view

Christopher Hill September 2017

Photo:Dunnington York PM chapel datestone

Dunnington York PM chapel datestone

Christopher Hill September 2017

location of Dunnington Primitive Methodist chapel

Church St Dunnington YO19 5PW

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine for February 1853 contains an account by Thomas Crompton of the opening of Dunnington Primitive Methodist chapel in the York circuit. Dunnington is described as a large agricultural village and the Primitive Methodists had a society there since 1835.

The foundation stone for the new chapel was laid by HJ McCulloch of York and the opening services started on Sunday November 7th 1852.  The deeds were made for free by Leeman and Clarke of York. The total cost was £130.

The chapel was made of brick with a hipped roof, 25.5' x 24' and 14' high, and stood on rising ground five yards from the footpath.

In 1908 the chapel membership was described as 'small', although it was still active in 1919. On Google Street View in 2012 it has been converted into a house and still carries its date stone.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine February 1853 p.123

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 16/02/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.